Saturday, 16 May 2009

My Bloomer of a Tumour

About 2 months ago, I was diagnosed with a pituitary adenoma after receiving results of an MRI scan I had in January. I was taking part in some research into psychosis at Cambridge when I had the scan, otherwise I still wouldn't have known about it until too late and I was suffering from symptoms. But what is an adenoma? A good thing about having medical student friends is that, unlike a GP, they don't tiptoe around something when you ask them, "What's an adenoma?" I ask, pretending to help with their revision, "It's a tumour of the gland!" They reply unhesitantly. So yeah, I have an 8mm wide (and growing) lump on my pituitary gland in my brain, or as a friend so aptly put it:

"You got a pink kink in your think."

There's a long list of (mainly hormonal) symptoms associated with it, which, alhamdulillah I'm not feeling the effects of just yet, but the two ways to remove it are by surgery (through the nasal passage :S), the most effective, and by drugs. So how am I feeling? I don't know. I'm always putting on a brave face in front of my friends, but there's a hint of uncertainty that everything might not turn out alright in the end. I've had blood tests, I have to see an endocrinologist (hormone guy) on Monday, and I don't know what to expect. It'll probably end up with him saying I need more tests and another MRI scan, and then I'll have to wait another month or so before the next appointment, by which time I'd probably have enough prolactin to start my own dairy farm!

3 comments:

Optimum Brain said...

Interesting.

Kesshin said...

Have they diagnosed what kind of pituitary adenoma it is? I'm sad to hear about this. Btw, I have a free house - come down and bring your xbox - we'll do a systemlink :). (Funeral was in Manchester btw :P)

B said...

I'm sorry to hear about it, I hope things work out and it doesn't become hell to deal with.

Remember that putting on a straight face doesn't make it all better, granted, most people won't relate and understand making it worse ; but remember that you are allowed to feel about this too :)