Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Mid-exams

Two exams down; the first, a three hour 'single best answer' paper on pretty much everything in general medicine, sat in York Hall (the home of British boxing apparently; can't think of any puns at the moment). The problem with any answer to a question being technically correct, is that you don't really know how well you did afterwards, but it does provide a good opportunity for post-exam debate! But I think I passed inshaallah. The second exam (yesterday) was Day One of OSCE (7 minute stations), so basically seeing actor patients and examining them, taking histories from them, and quite a cool station taking a history through an interpreter! It was extremely nervewracking at the beginning; my first station being a cardio exam, which I did perfectly, apart from washing my hands at the beginning and end, darn! Putting a cannula into a plastic arm was ok, apart from fiddly moment with the sticker wearing my gloves, and just in case there was a mark for building rapport, I asked the plastic arm how its day had been. I didn't get any reply surprisingly. The second day of OSCE is tomorrow, and I hear from people who've already taken it, it's quite a killer, trying to get patients with a host of personal problems to comply with their diabetic medication, emergency situations involving short-of-breath dummies hypothetically vomiting and bleeding everywhere, balanced out by the hopefully-straightforward respiratory and abdominal exams. Then on Friday is the data-interpretation exam, which I have no idea how to revise for, so we'll have to see about that.

Our exam hall, sans the boxing ring.

1 comment:

Osman said...

All of that empathy malarky "oh i can appreciate you are going through a hard time, however, you've come to the right place and you've made the right decision coming in to see us".

OSCEs are hilarious, especially with those tricky patients that act all difficult and won't talk to you!

In any case, I hope your exams went well man!