A day I thought would be spent studying has turned out otherwise; I woke up intending to revise (or learn) biological chemistry, and ended up watching my newly-bought Spiderman 3, then reading a short chapter of 'Learning Medicine', followed by playing a bit of Mirror's Edge, watching a couple of videos on youtube, streaming Star Wars episode IV, and just as I picked up my book of biochemistry, I realised that the special Christmas episode of Doctor Who was about to start. And as a last resort to not doing any work, I'm here once more.
I was thinking about all the things I do on a daily basis, and how I seem to be going backwards (or staying where I am) in terms of 'growing up'; I still play video games, I'm into lame jokes and funny pranks, I don't hate pokemon, I eat sweets, I take photos of weird stuff, I am a proud owner of a Spongebob mug! The other day I bought copies of Resident Evil 4 and Bully for the Wii; I still find pleasure in killing zombies and bullying schoolkids (in virtual reality of course), I still feel content when I finish games, but I feel different when I do; like I'm not supposed to be having this much fun at my age. I can't imagine myself reading newspapers like there's no tomorrow, or collecting ornaments, or browsing through the DIY sections of shops early on sunday mornings. I associate maturity with lack of happiness; someone who doesn't smile, and does 'mature' things, like gardening or arranging stamp collections. The question is... do we all hold on to the things we loved in our youth? I can't imagine 90 year-olds in the future listening to rap and playing the latest version of GTA. But something I am sure of, is that I'll continue to laugh at stuff like this for a long time...

I was thinking about all the things I do on a daily basis, and how I seem to be going backwards (or staying where I am) in terms of 'growing up'; I still play video games, I'm into lame jokes and funny pranks, I don't hate pokemon, I eat sweets, I take photos of weird stuff, I am a proud owner of a Spongebob mug! The other day I bought copies of Resident Evil 4 and Bully for the Wii; I still find pleasure in killing zombies and bullying schoolkids (in virtual reality of course), I still feel content when I finish games, but I feel different when I do; like I'm not supposed to be having this much fun at my age. I can't imagine myself reading newspapers like there's no tomorrow, or collecting ornaments, or browsing through the DIY sections of shops early on sunday mornings. I associate maturity with lack of happiness; someone who doesn't smile, and does 'mature' things, like gardening or arranging stamp collections. The question is... do we all hold on to the things we loved in our youth? I can't imagine 90 year-olds in the future listening to rap and playing the latest version of GTA. But something I am sure of, is that I'll continue to laugh at stuff like this for a long time...

4 comments:
My cousin is four years older than you, married, currently a teacher. He still plays video games (when he asked his wife (who happens to be three years older than him)if he could get a ps3, she replied "only once youve taken me to egypt"), cracks the most imatture jokes etc. Theyre much older than you, thier mature, but they still have thier fun and games. "Mature" is not an absolute state. Yes, as you get older you'll have behave mature more often, but that doesn't mean 100% of the time.
Immature*
Theyre*
I don't think theres a single rule to follow on this one. On one hand you can carry on doing the childish things you enjoy - as it's a form of release from the mental world of being an adult, and on the other hand you can force yourself to grow up - but how do you de-stress, what valid points are there against you having fun when you need it?
I think as long as you keep remembering that you are an adult, you have responsibilities and no matter how hard you try ; you will never be able to slip into the shoes of a child again - it's okay.
My bro is 5 years older still plays gears of wars and sits and watches ridiculous videos on youtube. Everyone has an inner child, a person that they always want to return to because there's no sense of responsibility. Of course we have more things occupying our lives that require certain mind frames, but I think maturity is being able to balance those things out: being able to know when to do what rather than being reckless.
As an adult though you're never going to become a child playing hide and seek or Had :P, but you'll still have some of your child's fun.
I think you also have to consider the society we live in - Our parents never had the technological advances we had, for them instead of playing video games they were into cars and more DIY subjects - maybe for them that is where they get their child back.
Our problem lies in trying to compare ourselves to what the elderly of our generation is doing. Of course somethings you can't imagine yourself doing like doing some weight lifting :P but who knows, maybe the "rap" music of today will be classics of tommorow. It's all relative to the generation and how society has progressed.
For example, take christmas this year - There was this whole buzz around christmas but for the past few years christmas has just turned to putty (especially this year what with the credit crisis). Also, do you ever find yourself thinking about what tv programs you used to watch as a kid? like thundercats, power rangers, etc? you think how much better they are compared to what children these days. My point is it's relative to the generation you're in.
Btw, I need to add you XBL :)
Post a Comment