
That's why. This picture was taken at Imperial by a friend who has 'biochemistry' listed as one of his interests on his Facebook page, so I'm guessing he was one of the 40 or so people who actually attended lectures. When the buses finally decided to start working again and I attended uni two days later, I found the remnants of two massive snowmen on the Queen's lawn; so either the library was closed, or all the geeks decided to take a break and 'chillax' for once... literally.
So with more snow forecast for next week, I can only imagine more people will bring up the issue of "etiquette of snowballing". It's ridiculous! There's actually a BBC website article on it, where it mentions lots of people have called 999 because they've been caught in the middle of snowfights. Don't go out, simple! They actually got a criminal lawyer to comment, where she tries to put into legal terms the action of throwing a snowball. And then we get the politicians, exploiting any photo-opportunity of them looking like 'normal' people having fun. But with any weather, there are always people who somehow find themselves down in the dumps. Sure, it's cold, but look outside!

But with snow comes physical injury, like when I slid down a hill and whacked my leg on a lamp-post :S Or before, when my schoolfriend got hit in the head with a snowball that had a large stone in it, causing snow to effectively being banned by the headmaster. So I expect the emergency services to be at full stretch at this time of year, meaning that they'll need their employees to come into work somehow. Which brings me to the story of a radiographer guy who walked 18 miles to get to the hospital he worked at. He lives in Ashford in Kent, 54 miles from Guy's Hospital, and the whole journey took more than 8 hours! I commend him for not just staying at home that day, but why does he live so far in the first place?? Anyway, I think I'll finish with a quote I found with the word 'snow' in it; quite inspiring.
Courage is not the towering oak that sees storms come and go; it is the fragile blossom that opens in the snow.
No comments:
Post a Comment