Sitting the exam didn't feel normal; I wasn't worried, I wasn't relaxed, and at the back of my mind there was the thought of something not turning out right with my place at Bart's, so I did put in effort in the sense that I didn't just draw cartoons like I know a few people did the year before. I was fishing for marks throughout the exam; anything that sounded biochemistry-like I put in, making up a few enzymes and pathways as I went along. The exam was three hours long, but bearing in mind that nobody could leave during the last half hour, I got up and left early, watching my classmates sweating it out as I nonchalantly walked past. My friends afterwards said I should've done something daring, like set my paper alight and walk off, or rip it up and demand another one, or just get out my textbook and watch as my examiners would fail to see the obviousness; I guess it's shifty behaviour they're looking out for. But I did find a facebook group I could rely on for ideas during the summer exams.

I remember recently getting a few missed calls and after trying to call back, a text message saying something like, "Where are you??! There's blood everywhere!" I didn't know what to think, was someone giving birth? Did someone have an accident? Or did they kill someone and I was supposedly an accomplice? My phonecalls were finally answered with apologies saying it was a wrong number, and after a bit of "Are you sure everything is OK?" they told me it just a cat that had gotten into an accident. Phew, kinda.
One highlight of this month was getting more pets; this time three gerbils. For a couple of days, one didn't have a name because my sister couldn't make her mind up, but in the end settled for 'Fleur' (yes, from Harry Potter, and also meaning 'flower' in French), my other sister chose 'Toffee' as a pretty cool name for hers, whilst my brother first chose 'Bubbles', then 'Bubbles Thunderfire', insisting that animals should have surnames too, and after 24 hours renamed his 'Bubbles Thunderfur Fatine'. So with the names sorted, and with cats in the house, where were we going to keep them? My room. For most of the day, and all night, I've got a couple of very curious cats sitting outside my room, and although the gerbils are absolutely adorable and relatively well-behaved, I wonder how long I can bear sitting on a sawdusty carpet.

Now having made the friends I've made and gotten to know more about, I really have to say that I will miss Imperial when I leave at the end of the year inshaallah. I've made such friends that just lift my mood when I see them for the first time that day, or make me feel like sharing my life with them, or make me just want to please them and see happy. And I guess friends are what make me most 'happy', just being around someone I 'admire'; not in the sense of 'me being down here and them being up there', but more of just enjoying being in their presence and appreciating the aura that comes with them being there. One friend (called Faith... yes, a guy) I made was simply a result of me asking if I could sit opposite him in the library cafe, we got talking, and after me giving him the content of my iPod for him to copy to his laptop, he got up and a minute later he brought me a hot chocolate! Something random like that I thought I only would do came as a complete surprise to me, and even though some people may see it as 'sudden', I think surprises are what make people the most happy :). Ah, friends...
"True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable."
1 comment:
I like the quote you have up - it's true =). It reminds me of that saying which goes "my home is your home". Having that comfortable atmosphere with a friend is when you know they're actually your friend
Post a Comment