Wednesday, 25 March 2009

Change

Things 'happening'... Once upon a time something didn't happen, then it happened... strange. And then after that, it can't be undone; no-one can 'un-happen' something that's happened. And when it has happened, it will never re-happen. Being in a shopping centre lift with a group of people; it'll be the first and last time you will ever be with exactly these people in this situation at this time! Same with spending time with friends; you may hang around with the same people over and over again, but conversations or events won't be replicated exactly, what people wore, what they ate, who walked past, or the exact hour and minute all will have changed. People don't say goodbye to strangers they've just been in a room with, in the same way that people don't try to absorb every moment they're with their friends; things just happen, and people get on with their lives, but maybe that's why people keep diaries. I always get that feeling of 'this could be the last time I ever do/see/experience this!', even if I'm alone, and it may seem depressing to always think that, but I feel it helps me live the moment more, and it makes me a happier person knowing that I've 'taken advantage' of every minute of my existence. But it's saddening to think that every second that has ticked by, or every heartbeat that I feel against my chest, I won't be getting back.


Change. One moment someone is rich, then they're poor. Someone is young and healthy, then they're elderly and ill. Someone is alive and active, then they're deceased and lifeless. With the passing of Jade Goody, although I didn't really care much for her, everything will be different now; in the same way when Princess Diana died, things will just feel different; she won't play a part in society any more, things won't 'happen' because of her, and the world will be everything minus her. There are lots of events that had a 'before and after' sort of effect, like I remember the 1997 election making me see things differently, like a blanket had covered the world around me; same with 9/11, starting a new school, Woolworths closing down, or friends leaving my life.



My friend getting married just woke me up to the fact that everything is changing rapidly; no longer were we practicing our secret handshake together, or wearing holes in our uniforms playing football. He is married, will hopefully have children, grow old, and then die. But we are too absorbed in our lives now, in the present, to realise how quickly everything is changing; how 'now' is becoming history, and how the future is becoming 'now'. Young people walking the street, strutting their stuff probably don't realise that they will grow old one day. We don't associate old people with being once young, and they're probably as shocked to realise how time has flown, how their friends have moved on and passed away, how their youthful appearances and ambitions have worn into wrinkles and worry. Change is probably the thing people are most afraid of, but don't realise it's already happening everywhere around them! The question is, how would you spend your moments with someone you KNOW you won't be seeing again?

Maybe that's how you should spend every moment.

3 comments:

Ismael said...

Change is just a part of life, Yasin. Nothing you can avoid. I see what you mean about messing around with your friends one second and the next thing you know he's getting married. Happened with my cousin, I remember how competitive things got when we played PS1 games, and now hes been married for almost two years. Things change; that's how the world goes. But, you should see change as a good thing. Cherish those memories of your friends at school, and how much fun you had, But also realise that it's a part of your life which has passed or is passing. At the same time, the future is something to look forward to. There will always be challenges you'll be facing now and plenty to come in the future, focus on them doing the best for yourself. Change is continious and constant, flow with the river or direct your own course. Just don't fight it.

Kesshin said...

By getting high. I kid :P.

I'm going to quote a song here since it's quite an apt lyric:

"Time's change lying the falling autumn leaves".

It's true that every second that passes by we won't get back and it's true we have to try and live our lives to the fullest as much as possible. With those people you won't think you won't see again, I guess it's good to rekindle some of the old memories one last time - everyone likes to do that once before the candle fades out.

Mozzarella said...

I'm impressed; although impressed isn't exactly the word I'm looking for.

You have a mind.