Sunday, 19 July 2009

July the 19th

Well as I write this, it´s now the 16th of July, but I can´t help but think of the date ´July the 19th´ as it´s been a day that has changed my life on more than one occasion. July the 19th 2004, I was walking with my friend near a tunnel near my old house, when we were attacked by five boys and two dogs, and it´s a long story, but what happened was that we got battered; kicked in the face, everything, blood flowing everywhere, bruises on top of bruises, with me having to repair two slightly chipped teeth as a result. That moment had changed my life and the way I would see everything in the world from then on.

Then came July the 19th 2005, exactly one year on and at exactly the same time, I cut my fingers extremely badly on a circular saw whilst not paying attention and playing with the power switch. Blood was gushing out like a fountain and I needed stitches to repair them, initially thinking I´d lose them, and I´m now left with visible scars on two of my fingers. As I now look at them, I still can´t believe it happened! I hadn´t felt so much pain in my life. But alhamdulillah I learnt something.

Since then, it´s been relatively quiet. But as July the 19th approaches, and I´ll be in morocco by then inshaallah, I can´t help but think about it. Should I be believing in special days where I could expect something to happen to me, even though I believe Allah is controlling of everything? Or since nothing has happened the past few years, is it a lesson to Not believe in ´mathematical fate´? All I know is that on July the 19th I´ll be doing everything normally, I don´t want to be superstitious and be wary of everything I do; I may even forget about it until it´s the 20th! But what happens happens, and we can´t change it, but if we do decide to go water-skiing or something on the 19th, it will certainly be... interesting :)

Maybe I should treat every day like July the 19th.

No comments: