Sunday, 2 November 2008

Uni Schmuni

Well, it's about a month since I started at Imperial, and to be honest, I'm not really enjoying it. The people are mostly all geeks (geekier than me!), there's nothing to do apart from study, and the course is SO boring! Biochemistry is probably the most boring subject after... the history of textiles, or even physics! The only excitement that I generated during one of the lectures was when I decided to take a picture of the lecturer (who incidentally looks like the "Mock the Week" presenter), and the flash went off as well as the loud sound my camera phone made, "SNAP!". Everyone looked round at me and burst out laughing. There I sat, proud that I got a photo of the lecturer doing something funny with his hands. He was trying to explain something about the supercoiling of DNA in bacteria, but I wasn't very interested.

Anyway the only plus side of going to university is the opportunity to make new friends, and at the moment, the people I'm hanging around most with is the Greek lot, they're pretty nice. Apart from that, I'm trying to get involved in various societies like kickboxing and tennis (I've practically given up on the football team since my new football boots started to rub). I also attended the "Doctors Without Borders" meeting but was pretty disappointed that they didn't actually do any travelling with the doctors, and it's just a gathering of medical students feeling good about themselves. I also went to the Arabic Society freshers' dinner and found that I was practically the only arab-related guy there!

Overall I just find Imperial pretty despressing as I pass the medical building full of pretentious little medical students chatting away about how successful they're going to be. To be honest, I've spoken to quite a few and I really don't know how they got past the interview stage! Yes, I'm jealous, and why shouldn't I be?

No comments: