
The exhibition was awesome! The queue for the museum wasn't too long, and after admiring the funny brochure/map we were given, soon we were faced with a melted ice cream van, an aeroplane with a guantanamo detainee pilot model, and various funny statues towering over us in the main room. The queue was leading up to another room, past the gift shop, where the blaring of recorded radio programmes talking about banksy could be heard coming out, and once inside, I was blown away by the sheer genius that was reflected in the works of art on display. Having a good chuckle at the radio hosts condemning Banksy for his 'criminal damage', I took photos of almost everything (which, now I look at them, aren't very good quality due to the darkened rooms) and couldn't not be amazed at the cleverness, simplicity and sheer brilliance with the way each piece of art was conceived and brought to life. Next was a room where the exhibits moved... a CCTV bird guarding its chicks, a caged monkey doing art, chicken nuggets hatching from their eggs and pecking at a tub of ketchup, an old, tired tweety bird, various sausages and hotdogs kept in lizard containers. I think this video catches the mood of mainly the second room quite well:
The rest of the museum (over the whole 3 floors) seemed normal, until closer inspection found lots of randomly-placed Banksy pieces dotted here and there trying to fit in with the other exhibits, like a painting in the gallery with "HOME SWEET HOME" plastered over it. Or in the ancient exhibits section, there was a South American statue with it's back faced towards us and a price tag on it, or something I noticed high up a wall; one of those colour experimentation strips framed. There was also a model of the old city of Jerusalem that I think Banksy had bought from someone, and he placed loads of toy soldiers on it representing the Israeli occupation; Banksy is too cool!

I loved it, but the 5 hours set aside for the exhibition was way too much, and we ended up exploring a bit of Bristol whilst waiting for the coach home. The park next door to the museum was phenomenal, almost uninhabited (especially considering there was a Bristol uni open day next door!), with the amazing weather, it was definitely a highlight on its own; with a massive hill/mountain in the middle with waterfalls and paths running down it. The view from the top was astounding, and that was where we decided our next destination; seeing boat masts in the distance, we headed off towards the harbour, down some deep mysterious paths in the park until we found ourselves on the road leading to the docks. Once there, we could only marvel at the place; the surface of the water glistening like a sheet of diamonds. There we were, soaking up the sun, walking along the edge of the water, admiring all the boats that went past, but alas it was time to go, and we made our way back to the park, back towards Borders where we'd meet our coach home. We had quite a while before the coach arrived (and it came late too!), so we spent some time in the bookshop, looking at the Banksy section, and discovering they also had a Game inbuilt!
After a bit we were on our way home at the back of the sweltering coach, so I took out my laptop that I'd been lugging around all day and started learning a bit of spanish, and that was when I realised that we hadn't gone to the gift shop! I wanted to see the t-shirts!

And upon reaching home, we discovered that Michael Jackson had passed away.
1 comment:
Every single one of those picutres are awesome XD.
Post a Comment