Tuesday, 2 June 2009

May Mmm and Mmm

After a long month of randomness, I've lost the ability to think of words befitting May... Magnificent? No. Mishaps? Not really. Murderous? Definitely not. It's weird, sometimes when trying to think of something, your mind comes out with useless nonsense... M words, "Mmm, mmm, minkling! No, that's not a word... mighty? melodramatic? magnesium? margiplums??" Maybe it's the trauma of witnessing Man United lose the champions league final, or my phone camera breaking, or getting blocked by the Imperial network for a bazillionth time.

At the beginning of the month I was a volunteer patient in some mock OSCE exams, quite fun, where third year medical students have to examine 'patients' and answer questions properly to get marks. And I learnt quite alot! Yep, I now know which areas of the body to prod and poke and twist to see if everything is working. Neurones 1 (opthalmic), 2 (optical) and 8 (some long-named one I always seem to forget) are purely sensory! And the method for a motor exam is Inspection, Tone, Contraction, Power, Reflexes and then Sensory. I'm just listing them down here so it can stick for the future inshaallah :) And I also learnt that volunteering for a cardio or resp exam involves taking your top off! ¬_¬


I've been going to Wilson House halls quite regularly, where they play football every Tuesday and Thursday from 10pm, but the turnout was dwindling as exams drew nearer, still fun though, even with just 5 people! One quite memorable night was when I watched the Chelsea Barcelona semi-final there, with everyone (except one friend) anti-Chelsea, the atmosphere was amazing! Even though Barcelona were behind for all of the game, we knew a goal was coming, and when they scored in the final final minute, the room erupted, and the anguished look on my friend's face was priceless! Playing table tennis afterwards in the recreation centre (at a time I should've been home) was amazing, and so was paying a visit to Southwick Mews! There was the other night when we watched the final, but forget that :S

I also went ice-skating! What I thought would be just a family day out, ended up being a two-family day out, meaning I couldn't chill with both my parents as they were talking to their respective friends, but I did have some fun, until my sister dared me to do a mid-air somersault, resulting in a laughing sister and a suspected dislocated shoulder. Well it hurt like mad. Anyway, it was the uneven ice's fault!


And apart from going to the Palestine demo and watching Angels & Demons (which was actually quite good, especially since I hadn't read the book!), I was part of something awesome! Our Imperial dodgeball team were invited by Doritos to take part in their competition where six players have to stand in front of ball-shooting cannons, controlled by people logging on to the website and seeing a live-feed of us trying to dodge them! It was too fun, especially with the wigs and masks we could put on, and something I'd never done before, so I told any friend I could, and apparently they did get me a few times. We weren't best team, so we didn't get the £10,000 prize and the trip to Las Vegas, but we still got free Doritos and Gatorade, and since I didn't have a bag to carry anything in, I had to improvise by tying the ends of clothes. It was the best fun I had, until we were invited a second time! Yes, a second time! We were much better, but gutted when we discovered we came second overall; so close to making it, but more doritos to take home, and this time, I'd brought a bag to carry it all in!


But what this month has made me realise most, is how lonely I can really feel. Standing outside, with all my friends doing their own thing revising or being 'busy', I noticed how comparable we can be to the lives of pigeons. Yes, pigeons. Sometimes we're all just wandering around looking for that piece of bread, occasionally bumping into each other. And at other times we all have oversized pieces of bread in our beaks looking for somewhere to put it down and eat, dropping it now and then, and having other pigeons peck at it; we're all busy pursuing our own lives and do sometimes share them with others, but ultimately we pick that piece of bread right back up and move on. But I've realised that there are some people who, once they have come into my life, I can't ever imagine them not being a part of it; they ARE my piece of bread.


M
y maniacal mind magically magnetises money making me metallic!

2 comments:

Ismael said...

I severely dislike Ice Skating!! I fell exactly 47 times when I went. No fun at all. Not to mention I almost killed 4 little children; lost control and literally fell on them.

Gratz with the dodgeball tournament btw. I miss playing it.

About pigeons - we all feel lonely at times. I personally enjoy it, it's nice to be by yourself once in a while, rediscover certain parts about yourself amongst the darkening mist. But sometimes you can get stuck in that place a little too long, waiting for the one who offers you the hand out.

Anonymous said...

Very nice and insightful! :)